LDAP weirdness

So, today, LDAP started acting quite funny.

These are the symptoms:

  - users unable to login via GDM
  - login via console results in the "I have no name!@host" prompt
  - previous item applies to 'su - user' as well
  - sudo stopped working
  - 'getent passwd' and 'getent shadow' report expected results and see
    all user accounts

I tried the following (all to no avial):

  - restarting ncsd on the clients and the server
  - restarting the LDAP server
  - rebooting a workstation

I did a bit of Google searching and found this thread:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200302/msg00317.html

So, I followed the advice there (made /etc/libnss-ldap.conf have mode
644) and now everything works again.

My question is: Why?  I looked back at my backups (they go as far back
as 30 days for onine backups) and every single /etc/libnss-ldap.conf had
mode 600.  Everything worked fine as recently as yesterday.  So, why did
everything start acting up today?

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has come across this.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez