Re: Upgrading to Etch

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.isp.]

In article <88uFJ-2El-33@gated-at.bofh.it>, Bernd Schuhmacher wrote:
> Jim Popovitch schrieb:
>> Now that stable is Etch, is there a way to install Sarge from scratch so
>> that I can test an upgrade to Etch on a non production system?  What I
>> would like to do is install and patch to current Sarge, then do a
>> dist-upgrade on the test platform.
> Shouldn't be hard to do. Just get a sarge installation kit
> (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/3.1_r5) and install it.
> After that edit yout sources.list an do
>     aptitutde update && aptitude dist-upgrade

There's a little more to it.  Between sarge and etch
we replace devfs with udev.  You need to install udev and hal
while still on sarge.  You need to install an etch
linux-image and make an initrd.img with the new tools.
If you do it in the wrong order your system is unbootable.
No fun if it's far away in colocation.

Cameron