Re: Upgrading to Etch

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 16:12 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 21:52 +0200, Bernd Schuhmacher wrote:
> > Hi
> > Jim Popovitch schrieb:
> > > Now that stable is Etch, is there a way to install Sarge from scratch so
> > > that I can test an upgrade to Etch on a non production system?  What I
> > > would like to do is install and patch to current Sarge, then do a
> > > dist-upgrade on the test platform.
> > Shouldn't be hard to do. Just get a sarge installation kit
> > (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/3.1_r5) and install it.
>
> Will that still work for the netinst/bussinesscard ISOs or will I have
> to use the full CD?   As I recall the install process asks you for
> stable/testing/unstable, not sarge/etch/etc.

ANSWER: netinst requires a remote server, those servers now have stable
set as Etch.  However, businesscard does a complete base install using
stable (Sarge) on the iso.  So, you can use the businesscard.iso to
install a complete _base_ Sarge install (i.e. no tasksel or other
applications). After the reboot, edit your sources to change them to the
appropriate Sarge entries, rather then the default stable entries, and
run apt-get update to refresh apt's cache.

-Jim P.