Re: finding virtual server

Hi Steve,

thanks for the prompt response. I have no idea
regarding virutal servers. I upgraded the kernel using
aptitude and the server did not come up. This is a
colocation servers so i don't have physical access. I
update the system (including kernel) frewquently but
have never come accross my other debain servers.

So was wondering if the colo server is actually a
virtual server. Does virtual server have such issues
with kernel update ?

regards,
kancha

--- Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 06:54:28AM -0700, Kancha .
> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to find out if the system I'm
> running
> > is a virtual server or not ?
>
>   If it is xen then /proc/xen will exist.
>
>   If it is UML then probably you'll have /proc/mm
> -from the SKAS
>  patch.
>
>   If it is vserver you can extrapolate based on IP
> binding restrictions.
>  eg.  You must bind daemons on xx.xx.xx.xx:yy, not
> just globally.
>
>   "dmesg" might also have something interesting to
> say, for example
>  qemu uses the same identifiers for the hardware it
> supports so you
>  could probably identify it reasonably easily.  One
> last giveaway
>  could be the output of "uname -r".
>
>   (Some virtualisers use a kernel from "outside"
> your image,
>   such as xen + UML, so you could be pretty sure
> something magic
>   was going on if you "rm -rf /boot" and still
> managed to boot
>   but that would be *dangerous* if you weren't ..)
>
> Steve
> --

Never miss an email again!