Re: backports.org became really shitty for php5-mysql and mysql-server-5.0

Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 03:20:59AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> I want to cry about this issue...
>>
>> Few weeks ago, it was possible to setup php5, mysql5 and apache2 in
>> sarge using the backports. But seems few weeks (maybe 1 week ?), if you
>> do setup php5-mysql and mysql-server-5 from the backports, then BOOM,
>> it's impossible for any php-mysql enabled application to authenticate.
>>
>> I know how to fix, you "simply" have to recompile php5 using the
>> backports.org sources, but that's not the issue. I had a big bunch of
>> user of our control panel complaining about it, and most of it thought
>> it was the fault of our app, when it is really a backports.org issue.
>
> well, what did you expect?

I just expected it to work like it did before, for more than 1 year, and
that it worked AT LEAST as good as with Etch or SID.

> if you're using backports.org, you may as well be using unstable.

I do, but for development purposes only, like many. If it's about me, I
use apache 1.3, php4 and mysql4.0 because I don't need anything else.
But it's NOT about me this time, it's about other people, and I can tell
you that there are a lot doing this.

> in fact, you're better off with unstable because there are more people
> using it, so it is better tested. with backports.org, you can be pretty
> sure that NOBODY else is using your exact combination of libraries and
> other packages....so you may be the ONLY person to ever encounter a
> particular bug.

Do you REALLY think that using php5, mysql5 and apache2 under Sarge is
uncommon? If you do, I can tell you it's not!

> IMO, backports.org is just a second-rate way of running 'unstable' for
> people who are scared by the name 'unstable'.

For me, it's just a way of using packages that are really missing
because of the way that Debian works. I don't like it either, but
sometimes there is no other way. Please everybody, do not mistake on
this one, I really think the way Debian works is the way it should be
and I have nothing to say about it.

Thomas

P.S: Still, my question remains: who should I contact?