Re: apt-get install 'cept need to ignore dependencies

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 08:16 +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 02:01:25PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 01:59:46PM -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > > I need to install tripwire on a server that doesn't need a pre-packaged
> > > MTA (there is a custom compiled MTA on that host).   "apt-get install
> > > tripwire" wants to install all sorts of stuff, how do I inform apt that
> > > there is already an MTA installed?
> >
> > Check out the equivs package.
>
> alternatively, if the "custom compiled MTA" is one of the MTAs packaged
> for debian, then download the debianised sources, patch & configure it
> as you need, and then build a custom package.
>
> that is *ALWAYS* a better thing to do on a debian system than to compile
> something and just run "make install".

Actually, at least for me, "make install" (if you know what you are
doing) is better, at least for what I am doing (high-volume,
high-performance Sendmail system, w/ libmilter for dk-filter, tons of
queues, different queue types, etc.).  Debian's Sendmail packages have
too many scripts that do too many strange things, and assume the usage
is very "generic".  One of the strange things those scripts do is is
rebuilding sendmail.cf at startup, IIRC.

I worked around this situation by modifying "sendmail"
in /var/lib/dpkg/status:

        Package: sendmail
          Used for email

I also had to touch /var/lib/dpkg/info/sendmail.list (to reduce
dselect/apt-update errors about missing package files list).

Once I did that, dpkg was fooled into thinking mail-transport-agent was
installed and allowed other pkgs (i.e. tripwire) that depend on
mail-transport-agent to be installed.

-Jim P.