Re: apt-get install 'cept need to ignore dependencies

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 02:01:25PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 01:59:46PM -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > I need to install tripwire on a server that doesn't need a pre-packaged
> > MTA (there is a custom compiled MTA on that host).   "apt-get install
> > tripwire" wants to install all sorts of stuff, how do I inform apt that
> > there is already an MTA installed?
>
> Check out the equivs package.

alternatively, if the "custom compiled MTA" is one of the MTAs packaged
for debian, then download the debianised sources, patch & configure it
as you need, and then build a custom package.

that is *ALWAYS* a better thing to do on a debian system than to compile
something and just run "make install".

it isn't difficult, and it gives you a package that can be managed with
the debian package management tools (once you've installed it, remember
to put it on "hold" so it doesn't get automatically upgraded to a newer
debian version: 'echo "PACKAGENAME	hold" | dpkg --set-selections' )

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Currently listening to: Decoy - Tempt To Take

BOFH excuse #203:

Write-only-memory subsystem too slow for this machine. Contact your local dealer.