Re: reality check: passive FTP

On 29.08.06 20:25, martin f krafft wrote:
> A client of mine has its web site hosted with an ISP [0], accessible
> by FTP.
>
> 0. ISP is a well-known acronym for Incompetent Stupid Poopyheads.
>
> I cannot establish a data connection, even though I can log in fine.
> The ISP told me I have to use passive mode, and so I did... but
> I cannot get a directory listing in either passive or active mode,
> from any of five machines I tried, in .de, .ch, .us, .jp, and .au,
> using any of ncftp, lftp, w3m, lynx, or even <gasp> Firefox.
>
> This is what happens:
[deleted]

is there any firewall by your client (running the FTP server) installed?
Maybe the firewall is not ftp-aware, or ftp support has been disabled on it.

> I can access sites like ftp.gnu.org just fine, and given this fact
> and the above output, I conclude that it's the remote firewall which
> doesn't let the RELATED SYN for port 1455 through.

Can you access other ftp sites in both passive and active mode?

> Before I go raise hell and high waters, could you please confirm
> that I am not smoking anything if I conclude that their Firewall
> must have an exception for the other client to allow FTP traffic?

That might be the problem. I would try to upt sniffer onto your customers'
server or before it.

Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.