Re: Debian

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Erik Persson wrote:
> Is there anyone who has any experience regarding running debian on an
> Athlon 64 3200+, with dual 1gb/s lan, as a router and firewall?

I'd expect you'll need some kernel patches (netfilter ipsets or netfilter
hf-hipac, for example) for the firewall part, unless it is a very very
simple firewall with almost no rules.

> Anything special to think about?

Yeah, packet filtering at 1GB/s at full wirespeed can mean up to 3M
packets/s, which is NOT something trivial to do. At all.

The same goes for routing.

> What throughput is it possible to reach?

I guess you will have to test this yourself, I didn't find many up-to-date
studies on this.  If you do, please tell us the results :-)

> How is throughput affected by packet filtering?

It is *very* affected, see the pages for ipsets and hf-hipac, they have
studies on this area.

  Henrique Holschuh