NETDEV WATCHDOG error. Net dies. Why?

Hello!

We have been running debian sarge kernel 2.6.12 (2.6.12-1-amd64-generic) on an amd64 machine with a D-Link DFE-580TX 4 port nic as a router and firewall for a couple of months. eth0 is our external interface, and eth2 is for the dmz. The eth1 interface is our internal net with about 1000 computers, which are subneted. Thus only traffic to the dmz and the external network reaches the router from the internal interface.

About one week ago we suddenly began to get

kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out

error messages, and all taffic on eth1 just died shortly thereafter.

We rebootet the machine and the messages disappeared for 2 days, but today the problem appeared again. I have no idea what makes this happen.

Does anyone have any idea about what could be the problem?

/Erik Persson.