Re: More sorbs blacklisting

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 09:03:44PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 05:20:00PM -0400, Kris Deugau wrote:
> > Pigeon wrote:
> > > How do I get an unbiased and definitive answer as to whether it is
> > > "really" dynamic or static?
> >
> > In your case....  I don't think you can
>
> Was beginning to have unpleasant suspicions of the kind...

Have now managed to get in touch with someone more clued-up in my
ISP's support staff and have got an answer which makes sense:

> From our point of view, you receive a static IP address because
> when you sign up for our service, you will be given an IP address
> and will use that IP address for the length of your service with
> us, assuming no changes such as requesting an IP block.
>
> SORBS, on the other hand, regard such IP addresses as dynamic
> because if you were to leave us, the IP address would become
> available for use by another customer.
>
> There is nothing we can do to change this, our network team has
> contacted SORBS and others to discuss the situation, but at this
> moment in time, there continues to be a difference in
> classification of static.

So there we have it... I have a static IP but SORBS call it dynamic
because another customer could get it if I left...

It would be nice to be able to get an IP assigned to me for life, that
I could take to a different ISP if I decided to switch...

(Sorry to drag this thread up again but I didn't like to leave this
loose end dangling in public :-) )

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons