Re: More than 32000 users

--On January 23, 2006 4:49:06 PM -0400 Maykel Moya <moya@infomed.sld.cu> wrote:

Our mail system live in a host (an old rh72 one). All accounts are
local, and the mailboxes are the /home/<username> directories.

We have reached the magic number 32000 (I learn today it's magic) and
I cannot create another /home/<username> because of 'Too many links'.

Hmm....I've never had problems with anything of the sort, though with ext2/3 performance with more than a few thousand entries in the same directory is abysmal. ReiserFS handles this case much better. Also RH7.2 is completely unsupported now, FYI.

We are preparing to migrate the current setup to a shared storage with
OCFS2. Albeit the migration will take its time, I tested OCFS2 and
cannot create another directory beyond the 32000th, so, the migration
will not solve the a-lot-of-users-requesting-accounts requirement.

Never heard of OCFS2 myself so not sure how to help you there....

So, I'd been thinking in use some type of indexing, for example,
moya@domain.com will live in /srv/vmail/domain.com/m/o/moya

That's how we basically do our accounts here, only because we're a web hosting ISP we break things out at the domain level since we've a LOT of domains.

Would like you to share solutions, advises, tips, or whatever. The
priority is now to have a workaround for the limit in the current
host.

Saludos
maykel