Re: spf record

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 12:29:08PM -0800, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> Juha-Matti Tapio wrote:
> >SPF works only as long as spammers actually start to use it massively
> >themselves (and I think I have read somewhere that many have already
> >started
> >to use it). If most servers start checking SPF, eventually all spammers
> >will
> >start to use valid SPF-configured envelope addresses. After that SPF does
> >not help at all...
> .. except for the fact that it *dramatically* increases the
> effectiveness of your RBL's. At present, if a spammer's domain gets
> blacklisted, they'll just spoof someone else's. SPF will prevent that.

Actually I am not sure about the effectiveness either. I grepped a bit
around my personal mail server's spamassassin-rejected mails and here are my
figures:

Permanent rejects: 5069  (12+ points)
  - SPF ok:          68
  - SPF failed:      38

Temporary rejects: 2105  (7+ points)
  - SPF ok:          58
  - SPF failed:       5

Though my mail load is propably not at all demographic and these figures
should be taken with a grain of salt. But at least in my example more spam
passes SPF-test than fails it and failures start to correlate with
spamminess only when it is otherwise obvious that the message is spam.

> In essence, SPF would give the spammer "no place to run" when they get
> found out. I'm honestly curious to see what they do to counter it. My
> only guess is that they'll have to register a bunch of "throw-away"
> domains with names like "slk2l2jhldwfhsad9123jn.com", which they use to
> send out spam for a day and then abandon it.

In a couple minutes I can think of at least the following ways to go around
that:

a) Use any domain that either does not have SPF records or allows any
sources. For example I would be really surprised to ever see actually
effective SPF-records on debian.org.

b) Use the domain of the ISP of the zombie-machines.

c) Actually do register a throw-away-domain for a single spam-run. Domains
are fairly cheap and it is possible to send very very much spam before
blacklisting takes effect. In fact spammers already use throw-away-domains
for the websites that they need to operate to sell stuff.

I myself am not going to put SPF-records on my DNS because limiting my mail
sending options would be a major inconvenience and I do not wan't to let
spammers inconvenience me. That feels like almost giving up. For a single
person the inconveniance is often acceptable, but limiting all the customers
of an ISP to sending through a small set of servers sounds to me like a
customer service nightmare.