Re: Two gateways on same network

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 11:32 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 04:57:03PM +0200, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm setting up a Debian antispam mail relay.  I have two gateways on the
> > network (two separate internet connections):
> >
> > 4mbit ADSL =
> > 128k line =
> >
> > Both have NAT firewalls, both forward port 25 to the Debian box.  I'm
> > trying to do the following:
> >
> > Always use as the default gateway, except when:
> >
> > 1.  Connections are received via  Because if it doesn't
> >
> > 2.'s connection goes down, for whatever reason.
> >
> > So basically the leased line would be a backup MX.
> >
> > I have put two network cards in, both with IPs on the same network, but
> > with different gateways specified in /etc/network/interfaces.  But for
> > some reason both try to use as the gateway, regardless.
> >
> > If the second network card is not necessary, that would be OK too.
> >
> Use shorewall and read the Multi-ISP howto available on
> http://shorewall.net.

This is slightly different from what I'm trying to do - it deals with
two gateways on *different* networks, and with being a firewall/gateway.
My box is not a firewall/gateway, all it has to do is reply to the
interface it received a connection on.

I've done this before on SLES9, but the difference was there that the
gateway was the same for both interfaces.

I'm thinking something like this:

ip rule add from table eth1
ip route add table eth1 via dev eth1

Where eth0 is with gateway and
      eth1 is with gateway

This worked fine with two public IPs on the same network, with the same
gateway (colo provider gave me two IPs), but I'm not sure how being
behind two natting firewalls would impact this.  I also don't have
physical access to the box, so I've got to do it right first time :-)