Two gateways on same network

Hi guys,

I'm setting up a Debian antispam mail relay.  I have two gateways on the
network (two separate internet connections):

4mbit ADSL =
128k line =

Both have NAT firewalls, both forward port 25 to the Debian box.  I'm
trying to do the following:

Always use as the default gateway, except when:

1.  Connections are received via  Because if it doesn't

2.'s connection goes down, for whatever reason.

So basically the leased line would be a backup MX.

I have put two network cards in, both with IPs on the same network, but
with different gateways specified in /etc/network/interfaces.  But for
some reason both try to use as the gateway, regardless.

If the second network card is not necessary, that would be OK too.