Re: Strange bind/sendmail issue

On 28.09.06 11:13, Erik Dörnbach wrote:
> I'm not sure I fully understand, what exactly is any wildcard record good
> for?

imho for nothing, but many lazy/lame admins/companies use that even if they
don't know the consequences. You encountered one of them.

> As I said before, I can strangely resolve any hostname/subdomain under
> customer.com to an IP number not identified yet (first thought it was the
> ns itself, it's not).

that's it, there's probably wildcard record in the domain, check this:
'host -a \*.customer.com'

> I'm not sure if my problem is related to that, I'll look into it at the
> weekend.

it probably is: if you send mail to nonexisting host, the
nonexisting.host.customer.com resolves to your customer's server, so the
mail is sent there. Ask the customer to turn off wildcard record.

Enter any 12-digit prime number to continue.