Re: Strange bind/sendmail issue

Its possible a combination of the following features would cause it:

FEATURE(`always_add_domain')
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')

I've never used the two together, but it sounds like they might do what you're describing.
Peter A. Dumpert
Innovative Computer Services, LLC
The Diamond Standard of Internet Business
P: 732-683-0092 x 102 F: 732-577-9390
http://innovativebusiness.net/

Erik Dörnbach wrote:
Hello list,

at one customer's site I encountered a really strange issue, regarding sendmails handling of emails with non-existing domains as recipient... running bind9 and sendmail.

In detail, for what ever reason a mail with non-existing domain may enter the sendmail queue, it appears with the customer's own domain trailed to the non-existing one, making it appear as if it was a subdomain, likewise it's treated as one.

For example:

- Customer has domain "customer.com", the server in question is the mx for that domain
- Mail enters the queue with recipient address "user@doesnotexist.net"
- Mail is listed in queue/log as "user@doesnotexist.net.customer.com"

What is going on? I don't have this phenomen on any other of my machines with quite the same configuration running. It's not much of a problem, but I would like to understand what is going on there, either on the resolver or sendmail. And have a cleaner mail queue of course! ;)

I can give more information about sendmail config, bind config, ns queries and so on as needed on request.

The only thing that caught my attention, the authoritive NS for "customer.com" (not under my control) does some special magic to make all queries to non-existing hosts under "customer.com" point to itself. I'm not sure what that is for, but that's why sendmail tries to deliever those emails to that NS.

But then this can't be the source of the problem... I think.

THX and with best regards,

Erik