Re: SuperMicro Servers

> Dear List,
>
> I was just wondering whether many of you are using SuperMicro servers.
>
> Up until now I have been extremely happy with them, but of late we
> are getting to many failures...
>
> The servers we are using are
> 	SM 6014P-82R s.
>
> Initially we had a bad batch (about 10 from 20) with faulty voltage
> regulators.

We have Supermicros, and over the last year have suffered 8 servers die in
(literally) a ball of flames as the voltage regulators melt.  All of the
servers share the same motherboard ID, which I b elieve is the same as
yours above.

We have ours supplied by Transtec and get them replaced very quickly as
and when they die.  We have a further 20-30 servers with this motherboard,
so expect more.  But as long as Transtec continue to replace them, then
we're happy.

> Can anyone suggest alternatives that work with Debian Sarge? Remote
> management is a necessary extra.

We're currently trialling various Dell 1U servers as a SuperMicro
replacement - nothing to do with the above issues, just us moving
on and up.

HTH

GW

--
  _           _          _a' /(   <.  # Gaz Wilson, aka DragonLord
 /_/ _   _/  / ` / _  ~~ _}\ \(  _  ) # E-Mail: dragon@nightwolf.org.uk