Re: spam using animated gif

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 02:54, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> Matthias Haegele wrote:
> > keyword "fuzzyocr" (SA plugin).
>
> *Very* nifty (if you can spare the CPU load). However, the pages about
> it mention a few packages that it depends on and points out that, at
> some point in history, they were prone to segfaults, and they recommend
> patching.
>
> Personally, I *hate* home-brewing (it's one of the big reasons I adopted
> Debian in the first place. They were one of the first with a usable
> packaging system). Does anybody know if the Debian releases of the
> troublesome binaries have been patched? If not, are they still
> maintained, so that we can prod the maintainer?

Hi Joe,

I did install FuzzyOcr on some sarge systems a week ago. I did only use
backported (backports.org) packages and FuzzyOrc  2.3b with one patch.
It seems to work without crashes til now. Some images are not recognized well,
but this shouldn´t matter.
Libungif is maintained and I wrote a mail to the Package Maintainer to include
giftext-segfault.patch and possible to backport it to bpo.
Gocr seems more complicated ... last version was uploaded on 2005-04-19, since
then there are 2 new upstream verions. I did open a bugreport (#388217).

Anyways ... you can find a documentation of my install process on
http://blog.waja.info/2006/09/19/fuzzyocr-on-debian-sarge/
In additional you will maybe add a logrotate script for the fuzzyocr logfile.

With kind regards, Jan.