Re: reality check: passive FTP

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, martin f krafft wrote:
I cannot establish a data connection, even though I can log in fine.

the ISP does not have an anonymous account, does he?

$ ftp -n 212.117.207.139
Connected to 212.117.207.139.
220 web2 Microsoft FTP Service (Version 5.0).
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
530 Please login with USER and PASS.

The ISP told me I have to use passive mode,

most ISPs will recommend this because they always suspect b0rken firewalls on the client-side not supporting active-ftp.

on the other end on the table and called up another customer on
another line, asked them to log in to the machine (I could hear all
they said), passing out the username/password to the other customer

LOL! unbelievable....

another thing: some ISP have "dynamic blacklisting" for some services, including ftp: I suppose you've tried to login quite a few times to their servers, they could have temporarily blocked you without even knowing this because their funny ftp-server suspected a DoS...but that's just a wild guess...

--
BOFH excuse #298:

Not enough interrupts