Re: Debian sarge Mysql 4.1 (Too many connections)

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 08:40:25AM -0400, C. Jon Larsen wrote:

> Who said I use mysql :)

I didn't say that :-)

> Check out Firebird RDBMS :)

I have, but I still prefer Postgres.

> Seriously, MySQL5 has a lot of the features now where its almost on par
> with postgres. Any one of Firebird, Postgres, or MySQL5 would make a good
> choice.

I know that MySQL5 has improved a lot, but my understanding is that it
still has some serious warts.  Specifically, dates and truncating data.
Either way, databases are like text editors and religions, everybady has
one and is unwilling to change :-)

> When your data sets that your app is manipulating get large, they probably
> need to be normalized. When you normalize, you're going to want views,
> SPs, triggers, FKs, transactions, etc. At that point you dont think about
> your "base of data" as "database agnostic" in many cases because to get
> good performance you're probably using bells and whistles specific to the
> engine.
>
> Thats o.k. as long as everyone knows that up-front.

Good point.

Regards,

-Roberto

--