Re: NEVER USE SORBS

--On July 26, 2006 9:03:36 PM -0700 Steve Redlich <steve@redlicheng.com> wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Craig Sanders wrote:

SORBS throws the baby out with the bathwater.

i keep seeing this claim, or variants of it, but i've seen no evidence
whatsoever to support it.

From
http://www.us.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?63.193.144.218 (captcha required)

  Dynamic IP Space (LAN, Cable, DSL & Dial Ups)
Netblock:	63.193.144.0/21 (63.193.144.0-63.193.151.255)
Record Created:	Mon Jul 3 13:53:03 2006 GMT
Record Updated:	Thu Jul 20 03:38:13 2006 GMT
Additional Information:	This netblock was removed/delisted, future
listings will supersede this entry.
<green>Currently inactive and not flagged to be published in DNS.</green>

It two weeks for them to refuse my delisting request, then accept my
upstreams request for delisting.  No matter what proof of a static IP an
end user provides besides changing rDNS, SORBS ignores it.  You need an
AS number for them to accept an IP as static, if it doesn't meet their
requirements.

You don't need an AS Number. You do need to be the contact for the IP Space in question, you're not. Obviously once the contact for the IP Space in question contacted them they were pretty quick to delist you by your own admission. SORBS policy in this regard I imagine is quite similar to everyone elses. I don't talk to random users either when getting statements of this is or is not a dynamic host, the spam outbreak has been stopped ETC. That has to come from the ISP. When I send off an abuse report, I don't report it to the purported sender, to some random contact on their website, no, you use the contact information published for the IP Space.

Oh hmm interesting, <http://www.us.sorbs.net/overview.shtml> states almost precisely this in the DUHL case, they also state they take listings from ISPs, not unusual for a DUHL. Now they *might* add other obviously dynamic hosts to this listing. In any event your IP space doesn't' have any sub-delegation, its part of a /12 published by SBC, IE you're not the contact. Get SBC to SWIP your /21 if you really are the contact for it. SORBS BTW mis-state because noone owns IPs. They're not property. ARIN/IANA/ETC have always taken that position.

SORBS does has different policies for it's various listings, but they're all clearly spelled out. When I've had a listing issue I've never had an issue getting a listing fixed by following the procedure.

If it was easier to get delisted, SORBS DUHL might be OK, but as is, It's
a royal pain in the u-know-where to get off their list when you don't
belong there.

Not if you follow their instructions. DUHL states the contact for the IP must contact them, no exceptions, for delisting from DUHL.

Steve