Re: NEVER USE SORBS

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.isp.]

In article <6D2y4-4bD-13@gated-at.bofh.it>, Micah Anderson wrote:
> In Spamcop's own words:
>
>     This blocking list is somewhat experimental and should not be used
> in a production environment where legitimate email must be delivered. It
> is growing more stable and is used by many large sites now. However,
> SpamCop is aggressive and often errs on the side of blocking mail -
> users should be warned and given information about how their mail is
> filtered.
>
> The "solution" which Spamcop imposes is worse than the problem they are
> trying to solve: by one estimate[1], Spamcop often blocks 10,000
> legitimate emails for each actual spam it stops.

The trouble with Spamcop, as I understand it, is the trouble
with AOL's global "Baysian" filter.  Any Spamcop or AOL user
can declare any received message spam, any time, for any reason.

There's, apparently, no review.  AOL's content filter is full of
"seen in spam" URLs and keywords entered by people too lazy or
incompetent to unsubscribe from a legitimate list they've grown tired of.
If you run public mailing lists and you sign up for an AOL
"feedback loop" account (you should), you'll see.  Most of the SCOMPs
are for mailing list traffic, submitted by AOLers who confirmed
their subscriptions months or years earlier.
There are Rush Limbaugh fans TOSsing anything that mentions
Al Franken, and mainstream "librills" TOSsing the neonazis
who appear inevitably in any public political forum.
I've got small confirmed opt-in Mailman lists that just can't
deliver to an AOL or Yahoo Mail address because, apparently,
the lists' names contain words that too many AOLers don't like to see.

I've also got quite a few forwarding aliases, and some of their
end recipients are triggerhappy AOL TOSsers while others use
that infamously inaccurate Spamcop client software.  Spam gets past
*my* DNSBL and through to them and they hit that button.  It's only
a matter of time before they hit the button enough times
that I get listed on Spamcop's DNSBL.

Cameron