Re: apache: what site is sending email from www-data

David MacKinnon wrote:
jack wrote:
I've had this sort of thing happen a few times, and I'm wondering if anyone know's any way to figure it out, or prevent it:

You have say, 50 websites running on your webserver (mostly PHP, some cgi). You start to notice your webserver is sending out HUGE amount of email (which is spam). Looking at any of the messages in the mail queue, you notice all the messages are coming from www-data@host.mydomain.tld, so I know they are coming from apache, but what site is it coming from!?!

You can patch PHP to add a header to all mail sent via the mail() function which says what script actually sent the email.. Very useful!

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/~steveb/php-mail-header-patch/

Quoted from site:

The header added has the form:

For example:

Hope that helps.

-David.

Thank you all for your responses! I'm going to start testing now. :)