Re: OT: sorbs blacklisting scam

This one time, at band camp, Mike Bird said:
> On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 15:56, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > Once you have accepted a message, you are wasting disk space _now_,
> > so there is no point keeping the message in the mail spool as
> > opposed to in the users mail box.
>
> Your mail server has the queue in the same partition as the mailboxes?
> Wierd.  All that unnecessary quota activity.

*sigh*  Again with the missing the obvious.

All I am pointing out is that once you have accepted a message, you are
wasting your organization's storage and resources already, so I don't
really see the harm in dropping it in the user's mailbox and
incrementing their quota information.

> > The point is to know that the user's mail box is full and _not
> > accept any more_ messages for that user.
>
> You are arguing against providing a safety net.  We hold inbound
> messages in a queue for several days (space permitting) just like
> outbound messages.  This is an added-value service which helps to
> prevent people from losing email when some twit has filled their
> mailbox and someone else is sending from an ISP with a retry timeout
> less than a typical human's sleep cycle.

The sender gets a DSN saying "Sorry, your mail didn't get delivered"
either way, right?  Do you really think that creating the bounce message
yourself is better in some way than having the sending MTA create it?

> > Creating backscatter because you can't configure your organizations
> > mail spool so that the left hand knows about the right hand is still
> > bad form.
>
> This thread has already mentioned numerous cases where backscatter is
> unavoidable.  Please post your Exim config which handles such cases
> without backscatter.  If it's that good, I'll even switch our
> combination of Postfix, QMail, and custom SMTP code over to Exim.

Since exim can do arbitrary lookups in a number of backends, it would
be trivial to store quota information in sql, ldap, flat files or cdb on
shared storage, or whatever other signalling mechanism you can think of to
communicate state.  As for config file snippets, the first hit on google
for 'exim quota sql' takes you to a discussion of how to implement it.
I look forward to another qmail installation disappearing.  It seems to
be one of the primary agents of backscatter spam on the public internet.

You seem to be conflating unavoidable DSNs and DSNs created due to
software or admin created constraints.  They are not the same.