Re: qmail or postfix

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 09:12 -0600, Gary Smithe wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I work at a small ISP with a few dozen email hosted domains.
>
> Our primary server is a redhat box running qmail and vpopmail.
>
> I'd like to switch to a debian box, but have a question that hopefully
> someone can help with.
>
> >From what I've read, qmail and its tools break several Linux
> conventions, so I'd like to go to postfix.
>
> Here's the question:
>
> What are your opinions of qmail / vpopmail (i.e. should I even switch
> from them)?
> If I do switch, what is the best replacement for vpopmail (where I can
> use maildir's and copy the contents from the old mail server to the
> new)?
>
> Thanks In Advance
>
> Gary

We run Qmail here on debian Sarge and it works great. We are not big by
any stretch, but with the few hundred customer domains we host, plus the
vpopmaild daemon and some php customers are able to maintain thier own
accounts etc. We also store most vpopmail config in mysql as well. This
is not necessary of course, but was our choice as most of our systems
are mysql-centric. I like qmail for its simplicity to maintain and
operate, but of course others who prefer exim, postfix etc will most
likely say the same about them.

Shane