Re: Areca SATA cards

Dave Watkins said at 16/03/2006 09:14:

> It should be seamless to the OS etc. You should just have more free
> space on the drive, this can be partitioned and formatted as normal. Or
> if your FS supports it you can expand the filesystem, but I'm not sure
> I'd ever fully trust that on a live system with real data :)

I do online expansion of XFS filesystems (sat on top of LVM on top of 3ware/Areca RAID) all the time. The bit I've not tried is expanding the RAID set. In an ideal world, you just make LVM see that the partition is now bigger or something.

Like you say, you've gotta be a brave/stupid man to try that the first time on production data. :-)

Ronny
--
Ronny Adsetts
Technical Director