Re: Areca SATA cards

I use the newest arcmsr driver 1.20.0x.12 from their website, compiled
into a vanilla kernel, which works for me quite well. Compiled without
any problems with 2.6.15.6.

> I *believe* the arcmsr driver is now in the upstream kernel (and so
> in the latest Debian sid kernels).

As far as I know, thats not really correct. arcmsr is part of the -mm
kernel tree, it's still not in the mainline. But there are prebuilt
debian install disks with arcmsr integrated at:
http://www.tienhuis.nl/areca/
So, if you want to stay with debian stock kernel, just use them.

> One difference to note: with the version of the Areca driver I have,
> there are no syslog/kernel messages when disks die or are removed.

I'm missing syslog messages or /proc support, too. But you got
S.M.A.R.T.-support, snmp-support, a command line tool, a software-based
webserver for monitor+config and a mailer tool which sends mail on
controller events. I'm using the last one, works quite well.

I bought my areca controller just recently, so can't really tell you
about day-to-day experience. But I did some performance tests and was
satisfied ;-)

  Claus

--
CHECON   EDV-Consulting und Redaktion
         Claus Herwig * Barer Straße 70 * 80799 München