Re: (Security) upgrades with shared /usr?

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:08:32AM +0000, Brett Parker wrote:
> Erm - interesting, at work we have a set of netbooting machines, /usr is
> most certainly RO on all the workstations, and served to us via NFS, the
> fileserver that it's served from has the filesystem mounted RW, we do
> upgrades on that fileserver, they propogate via NFS nicely, haven't had
> a workstation hang because of an upgrade on the fileserver so far, so
> I'd be interested to know why you think this might be the case?

I was thinking about virtual machines (Xen) and in fact sharing a block
device together with the filesystem on it. You are right that NFS export
is a different beast, since the clients do not have access to the
superblock.

So right, using an NFS-like import/export is a way to solve my problem,
thanks :)

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org>             http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216