Re: recommendations for large mail system

On 2/6/06, Mark Bucciarelli <mark@easymailings.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 10:09:37AM +0200, Juha Kumpulainen wrote:
>
> > I appreciate if you would like to share your experience to build large
> > email system, especially comments on accounts-per-server, filesystem
> > and test-methods are welcome!
>
> In my experience, SpamAssassin is the largest resource hog. It is hungry
> for both CPU and RAM. IIRC, it's roughly 25Mb/daemon of RES, and we need
> to run with --max-children=20.
>
> ClamAv is probably the next heaviest app.  Recently, I've switched to
> using clamcour, which is a c++ Courier-MTA Filter in the hopes that it
> is more effient.  Haven't benchmarked it yet.
>
> The more messages you can cut off at SMTP time, the better.
Our current plan is to use some commercial product for virus&spam
filtering, no any experience about such a thing yet, however.

> We put a spamd (OpenBSD, not Apache) SMTP proxy in front to handle
> greylisting + blacklisting. (We load the Composite Blacklist
> cbl.abuseat.org twice a day.) I know it's not strictly on topic here,
> but it could be implemented with whatever MX backend you want to use. It
> doesn't need a big box and I think technically it's a great approach, so
> I mention it.
Sounds good idea.

> If required, pf can do round-robin rdr's if it turns out you need more
> than one MX. So far our Courier emstpd daemons work fine for 100,000+
> messages/day with ClamAV + sa-spamd + spamd all on the same box. We
> courier-imap and lighttpd + squirrel on another box.
>
> The two machines are not nearly as powerful as the ones you spec (dual
> 1.2GHz, 3G RAM, 300GB 10k scsi software raid1 via NFS). I haven't

To clarify, you export maildirs through nfs from courier-imap to esmtp?

> put in monitoring yet (bad admin!) as they are not stressed at all
> (0.15/0.23/0.35 load, no page outs, lots of free disk space). There are
> 20k accounts and around 4k are active (that is, logging into IMAP and
> sending mail--the other ones still recieve mail).

are all clients squirrels or do you allow imap access to your system?
if both allowed, what squirrel vs native ratio?

> When we first turned things on, and the email backlog out on the net
> (the other provider had gone down and not come up) deluged us, we were
> delivering a max of about two messages/second to disk with over 225
> courier submit daemons doing their thing (at about 1M RES each). It took
> around three hours to get through the backlog, and the load was high
> (6-9).
>
> If you figure that was three full days of deliveries compressed into one
> (roughly), I expect we could probably triple volume with no problem.
> To scale, I would probably work on expanding the black lists on the
> proxy--probably by parsing logs and creating my own blacklists.
>
> Backing up is another issue.  Be careful with rsync, FWIU, it tries to
> load the list of files to backup into memory.  (I assume it works the
> same on Debian as on FreeBSD):
>
>     Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 12:32:26 +0000 (GMT)
>     From: Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
>     Subject: Re: Backup solutions
>
>     The problem I've had with rsync is that it wants to build a list of
>     all files to be backed up. On my cyrus server, I have file systems
>     with >6m files. This causes rsync to core dump when it discovers it
>     can't allocate memory to hold the entire list at once.

I hope that cyrus or drbd replication eliminate backup need,
rsync is still option but requires second though obviously.

> BTW, spamd is also a tar pit which, while not as effective as I hoped,
> gives me some satisfaction as the smtp dialog returns at one byte per
> second to know spammers that are not smart enough to disconnect (which
> is not that many :( ).

Thank you for your valuable comments.

Juha