MySQL load balancing

Hello,

I'm looking for a transparent load balancing solution in a webhosting environment.

I've got 2 servers (Dual Opteron 2.0 GHz and 2.4 GHz with 4 GB and 15krpm disks). I'm using replication, the most powerful is the master and the other one the slave.

Is there a solution (opensource) which add a transparent proxy that send read requests to the slave and write requests to the master without any changes in
PHP or perl code ?

MySQL cluster is not a solution yet (only memory storage) and some commercial
products are too much expensive.

Frédéric.