Re: suggested virus scanner for postfix (?)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 04:04:49PM -0800, jack wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out what virus scanner to go with and was hoping
> for some opinions + experience. I'm using postfix with mysql virtual
> users (about 10k accounts).
>
> I'm after something fast, stable, and efficient under high load.

amavisd + clamav. can also do spam blocking with spamassassin. amavisd
has support for per-user configuration in mysql.

if load gets too high for one machine then split your mail server into
multiple machines. one or more as the MX receivers (which accept the
mail and do all the virus and spam filtering). and one mailbox server
which does pop and imap (and optionally webmail). you can scale this up
to huge size - just add more MX boxes as you need them.

either the MX box(es) OR the mail server OR both can act as outbound
relay for your users.

> Also, I'd like to have some sort of notification and/or bounce when a
> message contains a virus.

no, you don't. really. it may *sound* like a good idea, but really it's
a bad idea because it will make you a backscatter spammer.

viruses usually forge the sender address, so when you send a
notification you will be spamming someone whose address has been forged
by the virus. this is very annoying. getting dozens of them is extremely
annoying and prone to inspire feelings of rage and a desire to hunt you
down with an axe.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)