3ware 9550SX raid controller support

Hi @ all,

we are running debian sarge 3.1 (stable) on our servers, but
having problems with driver support for the 3ware 9550SX raid
controller in combination with the available kernels in the stable branch.

i fixed the issue temporary by upgrading the servers to unstable
and installed the 2.6.15 kernel, which has the right driver for that
controller.

is there a way to keep using the stable branch with the 2.6.15 kernel
without the need of compiling a custom kernel (but use apt's kernel
images).
additional question: how could i have a debian sarge installer cd, which
installs the 2.6.15 kernel? i failed creating it by this howto:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstallerModify

is there any better documentation for that?

i would appreciate any suggestions.

regards