Re: iptables -j LOG no going to syslogd but to dmesg....

On 13:35, Fri 06 Jan 06, Pablo wrote:
> I have a rule to log some packets to syslogd, but they never go to that
> place.
>
> The rule is:
>
> Iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -dport 25 -j LOG -log-prefix "Direct accest to
> smtp server from: "
>
> The logs go to dmesg, but I want to send them to syslogd for a further
> processing

I think what you need is to use the ULOG target and run 'ulogd'. You can
make this the last rule in whatever chain you want to do this. 'ulogd'
will take care of logging the packets to syslog.

You can then write a syslog filter to put then into a file other than
the /var/log/messages file.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Abhas.