Re: monitoring servers

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 04:24:49PM -0500, Phil Dyer wrote:
> > hi,
> > one question: what software do you use to monitor your servers? i
> > don't want this big things with snmp, load, disks ... only services like
> > http, smtp, pop.
> > it should take less resources, be simple (webbased preferred) and
> > send email if service/host is down.
>
> for features/configurability, you can't beat nagios. It's a little
> verbose in the configurations, but worth it.

  For simple things with just services I'd suggest monit:

  My configuration file is here:

    http://www.debian-administration.org/users/Steve/weblog/32

  It allows you to be notified if a service stops, and automatically
 restarts Apache, Bind, MysQL, Exim4, OpenSSH, etc on failure.

  Very simple and easy to setup along with a simple web GUI.

  Nagios is *much* more flexible, but it is probably overkill if you're
 only interested in simple notification and restarting.

Steve