Re: Blocking ssh

El mié, 15-06-2005 a las 01:50 -0500, Rod Rodolico escribió:
> They never found a valid account. I just saw them trying hard, and
> was afraid they would actually find one that had shell access.
> Actually, I don't remember them finding a real account of anyone on
> the box (though I didn't do a point by point comparison). This was
> more a preventive, just in case they did.
>
> If I'm not understanding what you mean, please let me know. I doubt
> this will be the last time I have to do this.

Well. If I try to enter your host, and I am rejected after sending a
username "A", and before authenticating, I will know that I cannot log
in your server with username "A" (it's forbidden). If I found that, with
username "B", I'm not rejected until after authentication, I will know
that "B" is a valid username, and I'll try with the same "B" user, but
with different passwords.

If the system behaves the same way for invalid and valid user names, the
bad guys won't be able to know which usernames are valid, so your
security is stronger.