Re: Blocking ssh

You said you rejected any illegal users, that means ssh will not ask for password if the user is illegal.

That means ssh will ask for password only for valid accounts.

That means that you can brute force the machine for valid accounts, knowing that if ssh asks for a password, the account really exists on the machine.

He meant that fact is a security risk, and he is right, because once you know what valid accounts there are on the machine, you can focus on them and brute force for a password on them...

Disable password-based logins and use ssh keys... It's so much harder to break than a password that is, i believe, 16 char long maximum (?)

Just leave the ssh open for invalid logins too (eg, ask for a password for any login, valid or invalid)... Don't let them know what logins exist on the machine...

Rod Rodolico wrote:
They never found a valid account. I just saw them trying hard, and
was afraid they would actually find one that had shell access.
Actually, I don't remember them finding a real account of anyone on
the box (though I didn't do a point by point comparison). This was
more a preventive, just in case they did.

If I'm not understanding what you mean, please let me know. I doubt
this will be the last time I have to do this.

Rod

From a security point of veiw that is actually a bad idea, as the
people
trying to connect will now immediatly know if the have found a valid
account and can then work on finding the password for that account.

R. W. Rodolico wrote:

No, just the fact that they did not get in. Example:

Jun 13 08:30:38 stargazer sshd[11700]: Failed password for illegal
user testuser from ::ffff:69.0.78.35 port 50494 ssh2
Jun 13 08:30:42 stargazer sshd[11702]: Illegal user testuser from
::ffff:69.0.78.35

Rod

P.S. I did change the port, but they found it again. However, I
have
set up ssh now where it rejects all but two accounts even before
attempting to authenticate.

RWR

Ciao,

I noticed that *BSD log in the syslog the attempted password
too...is there
a way to do the same on linux too ?

--

Bye Enrico - Windows gives you just a little piece of the horizon.
Use Linux.

 e vederai color che son contenti
nel foco, perche speran di venire
quando che sia a le beate genti.
      -- Inferno, Canto I, vv.118-120

Jean-Christophe Montigny
Responsable Commission Web, Association Planètes
Responsable serveurs assoces.com, Association Planètes
Etudiant de deuxième année à Grenoble Ecole de Management
Majeure Conseil en Organisation des Systèmes d'Information
begin:vcard
fn:Jean-Christophe Montigny
n:Montigny;Jean-Christophe
org;quoted-printable:Association Pl@n=C3=A8tes
adr;quoted-printable:;;12, rue Pierre S=C3=A9mard;Grenoble;FR;38000;France
email;internet:jcm@assoces.com
title:Responsable Com Web
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://planetes.assoces.com/