Re: Any known rules for max vhosts for apache? Tools?

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:57:33 +0100
Peter Holm <listbot@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> are there any rules for calculating the max vhosts / cpu / memory
> needed for x domains?
>
> i want to know, how i can estimate how many vhosts I can put on a
> server and how to calculate this.
>
> Of course, i know that this depends on traffic / load etc.
>
> Only thing I have for know are logfiles for some months, so I could
> calculate something based on these logs.
>
> Is there a reliable way to calculate the amount of needed ram based on
> logfiles? I think RAM is the limiting factor.
>
> I could imagine that I am not the first one with these thoughts, maybe
> someone can point me to a project?
>
> Any recommendations, pointers or experiences are welcome ;)

Wow, that's a pretty general question.

I have seen a server get loaded down with a 2.4Ghz P4 and as few as 5
vhosts, 2 of them being fairly high traffic (~60GB/month total on that
server). All of the traffic is php webpages. Then I've seen the
opposite, on a server that only uses a couple GB of bandwidth per month,
all static html pages, but close to 600 vhosts. This server runs with a
_very_ light load.

I think a better calculation is the traffic, which dictates how many
apache (and mysql) processes you need running. On my desktop with Apache
2.0-mpm-prefork, I notice each apache process takes ~5MB of ram when
it's idle. I'm sure that changes when it's processing stuff and then you
have to caculate the resources needed by mysql, etc.

HTH,
Jacob