automatically restart crashed web server

Recently after my logs were rotated, Apache2 failed to restart because
one of the sockets was still being listened on (apparently the old
process was slow to die).

This led me to the conclusion that I need some mechanism to regularly
monitor the web server (process, not machine), and restart it it
automatically when it is down.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do this? I can always
compose a script myself, but it seems that this is something that many
people must already deal with. Unfortunately my web and package search
has not yet turned up any leads, which is why I am turning to the list.

thanks,
Charles

--
One of the great discoveries