Re: Postfix 2.1.5: problem with getnameinfo (now working)

Hi Steve,

thanks again for your help.

Now I learned these things:

>   I'm not sure how to determine whether your kernel can support it

- If the file "/proc/net/if_inet6" exists, it does. (see
  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/systemcheck-kernel.html)
- Postfix's support for ipv6 requires kernel version 2.4+ (but the
  server in case has 2.2)
- ipv6 support in postfix is disabled by default, so...

>  inet_protocols = ipv4

...is the default setting and should not have any effect in my case.

However, I did the postfix 2.5.1 install again, but in a slightly
different way, and now it works!

I did the following:
- Adding two lines for getting postfix from backport.org
  in /etc/apt/sources.list
- Doing a `apt-get update; apt-get upgrade`
  (note: yesterday I did: `apt-get update; apt-get install postfix`)

But, wouldn't it be good if "apt-get install postfix" worked, too?

After all, I'm not sure about the cause of the trouble - but now it
works.

Thanks a lot again,
Andreas

--