Re: Backups between servers

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Rod Rodolico wrote:

I have three web servers and would like them to back each other up.
They host around 60 sites and a couple of hundred e-mail accounts.
They are on the same subnet.

In the past I have allowed root on one machine to ssh into the
others as "authorized keys" so I could run rsync as a cron job. It
works, but I'm worried about security. If the "master" machine is
ever cracked, it gives a good loophole into the others.

There is no need for root on one host to ssh to another host as root. Have it ssh in as a non-privileged account. You could have it ssh into a chroot (not great, but better than nothing).

Backing up across the same subnet is of limited usefulness though. It protects against some forms of disaster but not others. You really need off-site backups (and a DR plan) to be well prepared.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.