Re: Deep 1U cases in shallow racks

On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 10:38 -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> I have a generic rack that has about 22.5" (57 cm) of depth from the
> front vertical mounting rail to the rear vertical mounting rail.  I am
> getting ready to buy some TYAN GX28 B2882 barebones systems, which are
> 26.5" (67.5 cm) deep.  I am wondering if this will present a problem.
>
> The rack has removable door/back/sides and will be located somewhere
> sufficiently secure that I am not concerned about the people that have
> physical access to the equipment.  Will the difference in depth of the
> system to depth of the rack cause me a problem?  I know that the TYAN
> barebones systems ship with generic mounting rails, so I was thinking
> that as long as the server's rails can be adjusted to a shorter length,
> it won't matter that the rear of the unit slightly extends past the back
> of the rack.
>
> Can anyone confirm if they have one of these systems (or a similarly
> deep system) in a shallow rack and if this causes any problems?

It normally depends on the type of rack rather than the equipment being
located in the rack. Some racks I have come across have narrower rear
doors on them preventing equipment from protruding out the rear door
space. This however seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
Also, some generic rails can be cut off shorter so that only the server
itself extends past the back of the enclosure. I shouldnt imagine that
it will cause you any problems.

Shane