Cyrus !cleartext and procmail

I've been pulling my hair out recently trying to solve a problem with
Cyrus.  I want to use the "allowplaintext: no" in cyrus to avoid
cleartext passwords.

Unfortunately when I turn this option on, cyrdeliver/deliver starts
failing.  It is called out of /etc/procmail:

DELIVER="/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver  -a ${USER}"
INCLUDERC=/home/$USER/.procmailrc
# anything left over goes to the inbox
:0w:${USER}.lockfile
| ${DELIVER} -m user.${USER}

$USER is sent from postfix:

procmail  unix  -       n       n       -       3       pipe
   flags=Ruh user=cyrus argv=/usr/bin/procmail -t -m USER=${user}
   EXT=${extension} /etc/procmailrc

Am I missing something?  I am a little stumped as to how I go about
debugging this.  I have tried running procmail in verbose mode but all
I receive is:

procmail: Locking "simon.lockfile"
procmail: Executing "/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver,-a,simon,-m,user.simon"
procmail: Program failure (65) of "/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver -a simon -m
user.simon"
procmail: Unlocking "simon.lockfile"
 Subject: test22   Folder: **Requeued**       813

Should I take this as a sign and move my users to sieve for their mail
sorting?  Will sieve also have problems when enforcing encrypted
connections?

How have others enforced TLS on 143 for IMAP access?

S.

--
Simon Tennant ________________ http://imaginator.com/~simon/contact