Re: Xen in a production environment

Simon wrote:

Hi There,

Wondering if anyone has used or is using Xen (open-source
virtualization) in a production environment? Any comments if so?

(for virtual hosting services)

Simon
Simon wrote:

Hi There,

Wondering if anyone has used or is using Xen (open-source
virtualization) in a production environment? Any comments if so?

(for virtual hosting services)

Simon
Hello !

Early last summer, I started to play with Xen. It was soooo easy and powerfull compared to UML, that we just started to resell domainU spaces with my open source control panel pre-setup. GPLHost first Xen server with 2 GB and 2x200 IDE in RAID1 is working perfectly since (it has EXACTLY 90 days of uptime today), and it has been filled in with 5 customers very quickly (less than 1 month).

My second Xen server is up since today with 4GB of RAM and 2x300 IDE in RAID1.

I do use LVM2 partitions, because it's a lot faster. I heard that I could run NFS-root to be able to move a VM from one hardware to another, but to me, it's not something I need, and I think it's better to use files localy (better performances).

As usual, I would recommand to run intensive stress test on the machine before putting in production (UBCD for the memtest, then I use the "stress" debian sarge package to do functionnal tests), especialy if you planned to run many many servers on it. Having a Xen server hardware broken (or down too much time) can be a real disaster for a hosting company like mine, I always ask for tests before production, and always use (at least) raid1.

Same remark for the debian package, exept that I didn't even try to make one: I have just typed "make install", twicked a bit grub (which is NOT that hard, it's explained how in the docs), reboot and you are done.

I'm waiting for Xen 3.0 to be out very soon, so I can put it in production.

Regards,

   Thomas Goirand, GPLHost LLC Manager
--
http://www.gplhost.com