Re: Email cluster

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 07:31:27PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2005-11-19 16:51:22, schrieb Craig Sanders:
>
> > note that it is important to make sure that ALL the MX machines have a
> > list of valid recipient addresses for the domain(s) it serves. exactly
>
> You can use wildcard on MX-Machines to.

presumably you mean "just blindly accept mail for ANY localpart address
at the domain(s)".

only if you want to generate backscatter. which nobody in their right
mind would want to do.

it's a cluelessly stupid and negligent thing to do.

> For me it would not so funny to distribute each day a
> list of more then 17.000 E-Mails to the 4 MX-Servers.

tough. you have a responsibility not to be a menace with machines
you place on the net. MX machines without a list of valid recipients
are a menace. if you knowingly create them, you deserve to be
blacklisted...whether you do it out of active malice, laziness, or just
plain ignorance.

syncing 17,000 email addresses is no more difficult than syncing 17
addresses. the script doesn't need to be any more complex just because
the data set it's moving around is larger. makes no difference at all.
similarly, syncing to 4 MX servers is no more difficult than syncing to
one.

however - with that number of accounts and MX machines, you probably
should start looking at using LDAP, then there's no need to distribute
anything. just configure one machine (or more with replication) to be
the LDAP server and configure all the others to use it for account
information.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)