Re: HP DL380 G4 and Debian Sarge

Hello,

Rafał Dąbrowa a écrit :
I want to buy SERVER HP DL380 G4 and install on them Debian Sarge. This
[...]

I want to know or every drivers works correct if I want install debian sarge
from CD with default settings in kernel 2.4.x . After then I want upgrade
kernel to 2.6.x. I want to use Hardware RAID-5 for 4 harddisks.

I have no experience with DL380 G4, only with DL350 G4 and DL360 G4.
With this models, installing sarge was straightforward, 2.4 or 2.6.
SmartArray 6x driver : cciss
NIC driver : tg3
Everything was autodetected by debian-installer.

Then come the health monitoring agents (hpasm) and the useful "HP
System Management Homepage" (hpsmh), a web frontend for the agents.
This software is provided by HP only in RPM format for RH, Suse and UL.

The one-stop website to use HP Proliant with Debian is :

  http://debian.catsanddogs.com/forum/index.php

You will find there diff files to use with alien to convert the RPM
into DEB (hpasm, hpsmh). Same for the RAID Array Configuration Utility
(hpacucli). Tested here with 2.4 and 2.6 Debian stock 686 (smp or not)
kernels.

For using iLO (the remote control of the server over e. g. SSH), there's
Matt Taggart's page :

  http://lackof.org/matt/hacking/proliant/

With this two *very* useful resources, I am happily running sarge
on DL3[5-6]0 G4.

Meybe I shall buy another server whith will be better solution ?

This is really a matter of taste. Have a look on this page on the wiki
who appeared after a recent thread on this list :

  http://wiki.debian.org/ServerHardware

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Halbwachs              Labo. de Photonique et Nanostructures
tel      : (+33)1 69 63 61 34                             CNRS UPR 20