Re: Recommendations for server: Intel E7520

I can definitely recommend the SuperMicro machines, but be warned that you can not use the Adaptec Marvell SATA 4 Port SATA controller that they have installed on some machines. We ended up directly connecting two of the drive bays to the
onboard ICH5 SATA controller. We left the other two drive bays disconnected.
I have yet to try the Zero Slot Adaptec controller that they are offering with their newer
machines.

Depending on what your raid requirements are I would look at using either SATA for
volume, or FC for speed - and recommend an external RAID system.

http://www.infortrend.com/ have relatively cheap systems available. I would also strongly recommend using FC for your connection to an external RAID, and NOT SCSI.

Andrew

annpost@can.no wrote:

Hi again,

I found a Supermicro dealer in Norway. And in looking at their servers, I noticed that the Intel E7520 chipset is pretty common. Supermicro, Dell, HP and IBM all use it. Asterisk uses a server with that chipset. Asterisk is usually on Debian, I think.

So, that might be a good bet, as long as the RAID is compatible?