Re: backup

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:02:42AM -0800, Kancha . wrote:
> I need to create a backup server that is responsible
> backu data/config files/mysql db from several servers.
>
> Please state which is an ideal backup sowftware to
> achieve this.

I like MEEP (http://www.woods.iki.fi/pub/meep/) which is a simple perl script
that uses rsync and hardlinks to create full backups that don't take much
space (above what's required for the first copy).

I use meep in combination with mysqldump and some shell scripts to back up a
bunch of servers. Rsyncing the meep backup to a remote site works quite well
too, and the backups are just your files - no compression or any other
obfuscation, which makes restoring extremely convenient...

Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(       Writing software is more fun than working.        )-
Virtual hosting -(                                                         )-