Re: Cheapest "software" RAID card

--On October 25, 2005 1:28:11 PM +0800 Jason Lim <maillist@jasonlim.com> wrote:

I guess right now the only option is to use a Silicon Image card (or
whatever) and then use md on top of that, but as I said, it would be much
more graceful if the Kernel supported the RAID card's implementation (like
it does with 3ware, or Megaraid, or the more expensive ones), OR if md
could somehow tie into the RAID card's system... or read the RAID card's
BIOS to get the config.

As was pointed out, that's all these cards do is provide config space. Some might provide hardware XOR acceleration or similar but RAID would have to be implemented for each of these lesser cards because they're not doing it onboard, they rely on the driver to do it.