Re: ticket systems

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 04:23, W.D.McKinney wrote:
> [...]
[...]

I don't understand why no-one seems to have fully realised that
requirements/bugs/patches/tickets/tasks/milestones/etc are all the same
basic thing, and a "tracker" can be used as a framework for everything
from requirements tracking (requirements tracebility) to resource-driven
scheduling (gant charts).

> So what are the URL's for RT and OTRS anyway ? Be nice to look at these packages.

There are _lots_ of options last time I looked (which was a while ago),
but I really don't know what the current state is. One URL I remember
that was useful back then was;

http://linas.org/linux/pm.html

It contains great terms and definitions, but it looks like it was last
updated in 2002, so the list of software under each catagory is out of
date (OTRS doesn't even feature).

One that appears to have come a long way since then is roundup...

There is also a new catagory that has appeared that is not mentioned;
"Collaborative Development" tools like GForge that attempt to integrate
task/bug/patch/trackers, revision/release control, documentation,
message forums/lists, etc.

There is a very valid argument that these tools are not worth
considering because they do everything badly, but I find that the
integration is a worthwhile benefit. Having one common tool installed
and working makes it very easy to just add every thing as another
project, and disable the bits you don't need.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>